My old Oppo Find 7 served me really well for 5 years. But Oppo stopped updating Android a long time ago, so I switched to Omni ROM. But updates stopped a year ago as well, and I had to fight with more and more demanding applications.
So I switched to another China-Phone, Xiaomi Pocophone F1. I gave MIUI 10 a try, but I decided to switch for the following reasons:
- No interest in the full stack of Google applications
- Need the ability to modify my hosts file for global ad blocking
- Nontransparent permission management
So here are the steps I took to install Lineage OS on the phone instead:
- Unlock Bootloader
- Install TWRM (watch out: As soon as you boot back to MIUI, it will be removed!)
- Install Vendor Firmware (watch out! Only 9.x works, not 10.x)
- Install Lineage OS
- Install Open GApps Pico
- Install Magisk (also provides root, SuperSU did not work)
- Download your favorite ad-blocking hosts file. Use TWRM and mount system, then copy the file to /system/etc.
Biggest downside of using Lineage: Fortnite does not work any more!