I had really bad touch screen glitches in my phone, and I was convinced it was a hardware issue. Well, turns out that in addition to the ROM (I run LineageOS), there is also a separate Kernel. Updating to FrancoKernel seemed to have fixed it!
This is not the first time I had a problem with software that I wasn’t even aware of: In the past, I had a phone where I had to update the radio firmware, as the new SIM card I got was constantly crashing…
My old Oppo Find 7 served me really well for 5 years. But Oppo stopped updating Android a long time ago, so I switched to Omni ROM. But updates stopped a year ago as well, and I had to fight with more and more demanding applications.
So I switched to another China-Phone, Xiaomi Pocophone F1. I gave MIUI 10 a try, but I decided to switch for the following reasons:
- No interest in the full stack of Google applications
- Need the ability to modify my hosts file for global ad blocking
- Nontransparent permission management
So here are the steps I took to install Lineage OS on the phone instead:
- Unlock Bootloader
- Install TWRM (watch out: As soon as you boot back to MIUI, it will be removed!)
- Install Vendor Firmware (watch out! Only 9.x works, not 10.x)
- Install Lineage OS
- Install Open GApps Pico
- Install Magisk (also provides root, SuperSU did not work)
- Download your favorite ad-blocking hosts file. Use TWRM and mount system, then copy the file to /system/etc.
Biggest downside of using Lineage: Fortnite does not work any more!
My performance when playing video has been bad, especially with multiple screens. This guide on installing Chrome with hardware acceleration seems to work.
… does not work, unless you install libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer. This is just a note to myself.
I just love the fact that you can just take a hard drive with Linux out of one computer, put it in another one, and it just works. Try that with Windows! (I tried a few times of the years, always a disaster).
To be fair, Macs seem to be pretty good in migrating from one computer to another, as I have heard.
Well, I finally managed to fix the problem. For whatever reason, the keyboard layout database got corrupted, and there is no straightforward way to fix it (e.g. by reinstalling a package). So instead I dumped the following directory: /etc/X11/xkb and replaced it with the same directory from a clean Ubuntu installation. That did the trick.
I was lucky that I had a fresh install lying around on another computer, but what a pain in the neck.