Autogrow.co is a crazy concept: It’s like a producticed service, but excessively automated and tailored to a niche. Very impressive.
I had really bad touch screen glitches in my phone, and I was convinced it was a hardware issue. Well, turns out that in addition to the ROM (I run LineageOS), there is also a separate Kernel. Updating to FrancoKernel seemed to have fixed it!
This is not the first time I had a problem with software that I wasn’t even aware of: In the past, I had a phone where I had to update the radio firmware, as the new SIM card I got was constantly crashing…
Infuriating: Working on Linux Mint, I regularly update my system. The last update included a Thunderbird update (60 -> 68), and an important plug-in stopped to work, the incredibly useful Quick Folder Move. After spending an hour on this, I decided to downgrade – of course some plugins that were updated in the meantime stopped to work.
It’s 2019: These problems should not exist any more, after the last big update that broke almost all plugins. It’s scary to say, but by now, I find Outlook more user-friendly than Thunderbird. For a long time it was the other way around. It’s so sad to see such an important project go to waste.
Ever since Google disabled its RSS reader, I have been using Fever. But there are two problems: (1) The developer shut it down, and (2) the license is tied to a specific domain. But now I need to move my server to a new domain.
The good news: domain checking only happens during installation. I could have simply moved the files and database. For a different reason, I wanted to do a fresh install. This is how I did it:
- Point my old domain to the new server
- Perform the install – this will pull the application files from the Fever server
- Import my feeds via an .opml file
- Restore the original DNS entries
At this point, Fever does not care any more about the fact that the domain it was purchased for does not match the server’s domain any more.
Currently I use Courier. But OpenXChange is working on an extension for Dovecot to support chatting, in collaboration with Deltachat. As I plan a server migration anyway, this sounds like an interesting option. Not sure whether it would succeed, but getting away from WhatsApp would be welcome. Especially as I don’t want my messenger tied to my phone.
My old Oppo Find 7 served me really well for 5 years. But Oppo stopped updating Android a long time ago, so I switched to Omni ROM. But updates stopped a year ago as well, and I had to fight with more and more demanding applications.
So I switched to another China-Phone, Xiaomi Pocophone F1. I gave MIUI 10 a try, but I decided to switch for the following reasons:
- No interest in the full stack of Google applications
- Need the ability to modify my hosts file for global ad blocking
- Nontransparent permission management
So here are the steps I took to install Lineage OS on the phone instead:
- Unlock Bootloader
- Install TWRM (watch out: As soon as you boot back to MIUI, it will be removed!)
- Install Vendor Firmware (watch out! Only 9.x works, not 10.x)
- Install Lineage OS
- Install Open GApps Pico
- Install Magisk (also provides root, SuperSU did not work)
- Download your favorite ad-blocking hosts file. Use TWRM and mount system, then copy the file to /system/etc.
Biggest downside of using Lineage: Fortnite does not work any more!
My performance when playing video has been bad, especially with multiple screens. This guide on installing Chrome with hardware acceleration seems to work.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/jastram.de/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 3357
I refuse to post original content at Facebook, or other networks. Instead, I have my websites automatically cross-post of original content from my website.
But networks regularly update their APIs or require new checks. For my personal benefit, I’ll document my effort for allowing SNAP Auto-Poster (WordPress) to submit to Facebook. First, this is the problem:
Testing …Array ( [Warning] => [Error] => (#200) Requires either publish_actions permission, or manage_pages and publish_pages as an admin with sufficient administrative permission )
Array ( [Warning] => [Error] => (#200) Requires either publish_actions permission, or manage_pages and publish_pages as an admin with sufficient administrative permission )
What’s unclear to me is whether my “app” needs to be submitted for review to Facebook or not.
Well, there is a new link for authorizing a Facebook account, let’s try it:
Can’t Load URL: The domain of this URL isn’t included in the app’s domains. To be able to load this URL, add all domains and subdomains of your app to the App Domains field in your app settings.
Strange… I was using se-trends.de, which is included.
Let’s have a look through the Facebook app settings. Once thing I noticed is that I am still running on the 2.7 API. May as well update to 3.x.
I found the answer
It was a typical RTFM-Problem: https://www.nextscripts.com/instructions/facebook-social-networks-auto-poster-setup-installation/
Bottom line: It’s time to update SSL (already planned), but even then it will take months for getting approval.
The most promising route seems to be IFTTT, as described here.
I am really happy with Selfhost for web hosting, but they don’t support Let’s Encrypt, at least not officially. However, they claim that with their new plans it is possible, even though it’s not officially listed. I’ll try it out and see how it goes.