Issues I encountered were:
- A number of development packages needed to be installed – I didn’t keep track on which ones, but the error messages are pretty trivial.
- I needed to install two patches that I found on the Gentoo website. Apply “MMX GCC4 compile fix” and “fbmmx-gcc4-compile-fix”, in this order.
- The install failed, because
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pcwas a file and not a directory. I just removed it.
- Configuration: Now /etc/X11/xorg.conf must be tuned. If you screw it up, it can be regenerated with dexconf. If nothing works, start with replacing the driver i810 with vesa, to get a slow but working GUI.