I started to use Goodreads to track what I am reading (but I prefer to tell you about here).Here is the list:
- Die letzten Tage Europas: Wie wir eine gute Idee versenken (Satire, Politics) - it would be really funny if it were not true...
- Anna, die Schule und der liebe Gott Der Verrat des Bildungssystems an unseren Kindern (Education, Politics) - great, and for a change realistic ideas on how to reform the education system.
Rama Revealed (Rama, #4) (SciFi) - I liked the conclusion of the Rama series.
- Digitale Demenz - Wie wir uns und unsere Kinder um den Verstand bringen (Technology, Politics). This book shows the impact of technology on the brain. I am no Luddite, but this clearly shows that media consumption affects the brain, not quite unlike drugs. Consequently. Consume responsibly.
- xkcd: volume 0 (Comic) - I love the web comic, so I bought the book to support it. On my 2015 reading list: What If
- Your Business Brickyard: Getting Back To The Basics To Make Your Business More Fun To Run (Entrepreneurship, Business) - a book for entrepreneurs: it's your company, so have some fun with it.
- Doomsday Book
(Oxford Time Travel, #1) (SciFi) - A nice twist to time travel, but even more a commentary on humanity.
- The Rolling Stones (SciFi) - Not the best of Heinleins book, but great for kids.
- The Picture of Dorian Gray (Classic, Novel) - of course, everybody knows this classic - but have you actually read it?
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers (Business) - there are many books what to do if business is well, this is about the hard times. Interesting read, but limited applicability, as it consists mostly of anecdotes.
- Distress (SciFi) - hard science fiction, set roughly 50 years in the future. This is almost a 5-star.
- Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice (Spritual) - another classic, but probably only half useful without the teacher.
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (Biography) - Story of a olympics runner who became a prisoner of war, surviving in a Japanese camp.
- The Dark Light Years (SciFi) - very depressing tale of a first encounter
(The Secret World Chronicles #1) (SciFi) - I just could not get into it, and it was a looooong book. Sorry, no time for this.
I just found out that the talk that Andrea Herrmann and I gave at EclipseCon Europe 2014 is now online. Enjoy.
Really? New colors for the FDP (liberal party of Germany)? It's sad, it used to be a party for entrepreneurs and "Mittelstand". But it had become a party for nepotism, and in the end it was simply a pawn for Mrs. Merkel.
This would have been the chance for it to reinvent itself. For instance, by addressing structural issues for small businesses, like charging for the first call to order (Abmahnung) which is unique worldwide and hampers innovation. Or highway robbery schemes like mandatory memberships (e.g. IHK) and GEZ (television-fee), which businesses have to pay as well.
But the FDP considers a new color more important, and prefers to discuss the Burka than Business. Sad.